The Ivy League

Natasha loved being at college, there was so much to explore and so many diverse people to meet. She'd met Kiara from Senegal  in a seminar in her anthropology department.  Natasha had grown up dancing and feeling a sense of freedom when she was expressing herself in this way, mixed with her love of French added to excitement to talk with Kiara who was finishing her Ph.D in the Anthropology of Dance. Whilst having tea with her, Natasha loved watching her effortlessly mix of sarcasm and enthusiasm with graceful movements only trained dancers know how to do. 

"I find the whole dance as a means of protest against oppression, so fascinating" Natasha with wide eyes looked back at her feeding her baby whilst simultaneously making her tea.

"Oh yeah, it's a classic" Kiara smirked as she poured her tea "You have to go deeper than that to find the real pearls"

Natasha blushed feeling that she was suddenly out of her depth and a dilettante.

"The problem comes in when people think that there is only this way to express their protest, but actually it is a combination of competing forces of oppression. It is when people have been silenced through other means, through language, having colonial French forced upon them, and from their personal and professional space being trampled on and taken away. It is then that their expression erupts through dance.  It is often the only way in which to free themselves. When they do free themselves in this way, suddenly they find ways to become unchained with their language, or space...when dance happens so other paths to freedom become clear. Perhaps by hidden means, through subversion and codes, but then they are able to find their way suddenly with other means such mixing the two languages, like French patois, because they have released the pain in their body" Kiara stroked her baby's cheek and wiped some drool from her mouth.

Natasha, feeling somewhat like the second baby in the room, took a silent sip of her tea, thinking of what more to say.  Kiara detected that she was feeling a bit uncomfortable and gave her, her thesis.

"It's one of my earlier drafts, I have so many of them hanging around, but maybe it gives you a direction of where you want to go". Kiara smiled at Natasha, her sarcasm replaced by warmth. 

"Thanks, I just wish I had more time here.  I feel like I am only just getting started." Natasha stared at the thesis.

"Maybe it is just the beginning...and yes you are just getting started...how far you go is not dependent on your time here".  Kiara eyes flashed with brightness and Natasha felt at ease in her sharp intelligence that was laced with integrity and honesty.

Natasha cycled quickly to Borders and almost ran inside to the cafe.  She saw him sat there, with his usual, latte in a mug with bagel and cream cheese, reading The New Yorker.  Natasha sat down hastily, mildly out of breath.  He looked up slowly, but before he spoke Natasha started spoke enthusiastically.

"Sorry I am late, but I just met Kiara from my department, she just incredily inspiring, she is actually doing her Ph.D on Dance as a means against Oppression, well, it is much more than that, that I got to find out quickly and she gave me her thesis to read...it is so...."

"...You know what Natasha.." Fletcher interrupted  "....I've been waiting for you, again..."

"Yeah I know, sorry, but she was so interesting and...."Natasha started again her enthusiasm bubbling over.

"...You know what Natasha, it might seem like everything is a rose garden whilst we're here, but you know when we are out there, it's gonna be hard and we're not gonna have the luxury to play around in LaLa land any more.." Fletcher's reminded her, but this didn't stop Natasha's passion.

"Yes, I know, but she hit upon something that I have passions about not only that, where I can make a difference you know...and I want to know how I can learn more from her, maybe I too can make a difference..." 

"You know what, Natasha, take a look at this cartoon here in the New Yorker" Fletcher lays the magazine in front of her and points at two guys in suits chatting on a mid-town New York side walk. "You see what it says don't you? Does your wife's charity cost as much as my wife's dance school" Fletchers pessimism of the world cut into Natasha's dreams like a knife straight to the heart.

Natasha without a word jumped up and rushed out of Borders without a sound.  Fletcher came running after her and finding her hastily unlocking her bike.  

"So this is your get away vehicle, now?" Fletcher said grabbing one of the handle bars. "I didn't even get to finish my bagel with cream cheese"

Natasha flashed him a poor you look and continued to pull her bike away from the stand. 

"I just think we need to think about these things, Tasha, not just hide our heads in the sand" Fletcher insisted.

"Think about what things Fletch? That I should squash all my dreams and interests and wear a suit?"

"We just gotta be realistic Tasha, you know, we haven't got all the time in the world" Fletcher sounded a mix of angry and desperate.

"Yeah and kill our souls in the process" 

"Look it's just a job Tasha..our time for having fun is nearly over and we just gotta think realistically about what's next"

"Is this what you think this is for me, Fletch? This is not just some kind of mild weekend distraction, this is my soul speaking to me, this is something where I feel I can make a difference in the world and if you keep cutting my soul short of finding my way like this, I ask myself, why are you doing this? Is it that you are trying to help me? Or is it that you are trying to punish yourself for having dreams and wanting to change the world, but someone or something is stopping you"? Fletch let go of her handle bars, as Natasha pulled her bike away from Fletch and rode off through the dreaming spires.

15 Years Later

Natasha saw him through the swarm of hungry people.  He recognised her too, straight away and waved her over. 

"Hey! You look great" Fletcher took a moment to take her in

"Yeah you too, sorry I am late, the tube was crazy, I didn't expect it to be that crowded".

"True to form Tasha" Fletch smiled "Yeah don't worry, why don't you get a seat and I'll get us lunch, any preference"?

"I dunno, do they have bagels and cream cheese d'ya think"? Natasha teased

"ha, I dunno about that but I can ask" Fletcher laughed a little nervously

"Na, just a salmon sandwich will do.  I'll be over there, thanks Fletch" Natasha smiled. 

Their firey banter was as if they'd seen each other only last week, not 8 years ago.  Natasha couldn't help but feeling nervous as well, but she tried to dismiss it as the buzz on London at lunchtime and took a deep breath.

"Here, they didn't have Salmon so I got you tuna" Fletcher settled into the seat opposite Natasha.

"Yeah seems like the locusts have been here already" Natasha joked trying to nonchalantly flick through a science magazine that someone had left previously. 

"We could have eaten at my company's place, they have a better range" Fletcher said quietly.

"Na ja, I thought you may prefer cafeteria food, you know take us back to our student daze" Natasha joked.

"Ha, sure, you can say it reminds me of that". Fletcher looked down, suddenly taking care to open up his sandwich. "So how ya been"?

"Oh you know, all good, busy, back and forth between here and Germany a lot, with this startup, at least I get to read on the long journeys"

"Oh yeah, what are you reading"?

"Oh German history mainly to get citizenship"

"What? That's a bit extreme". Fletcher looked into her eyes suddenly

"Not if you are British and living in these times" Natasha sighed. "You always liked history, are you still reading about Napoleon?"

"Na, that was the French phase, you remember, you had that too, except without the Napoleon part" 

"Yeah, do you remember that Napoleon Museum in Fontainebleau with what felt like hundreds of waxwork Napoleons? What a horror house". 

"Yeah it was a bit freaky" Fletcher laughed, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

"oh!" Natasha exclaimed

"What?" Fletcher mumbled his mouth full

"You're married?" She had spotted a thick wedding band on his left third finger.

He looked at it "Oh, yeah, this, yeah we did"

"Right, cool, so um, so she's in New York?" Natasha blurted out clumsily

"Yeah."

"Cool, so what does she do"

"Oh she helps people, you know who are in need, um in charity something with charity policy and it is partially part of the state, um sort of..actually I am not sure exactly what she does..." Fletcher laughs nervously

"You don't know what she does...?" Natasha frowned

"I mean yeah, she works in a charity and with policy" Fletcher suddenly became interested in his food again.

There was a deadly silence between them as the humdrum of the cafeteria buzzed around them, Natasha felt like they were both sat in a black hole that took them back through the dimensions of time and space, back to that cafe in Borders at college where the New Yorker lay between them with that stupid cartoon. Does your wife's charity cost as much as my wife's ballet school

"Well you must be very proud of her" Natasha blurted out breaking the silence

"yeah..yeah...you can say that" Fletcher's voice was higher than usual.  Natasha felt her heart race and colour fill her cheeks

"You know, I better be getting back, you know these startup guys, always go go go" Natasha rushed to get up already intent on leaving

"Oh right yeah sure, I can walk you to the tube" Fletcher got up leaving his half eaten sandwich

"It's Ok I don't want to disturb your lunch like I did your bagel and cream cheese" Natasha turned more than ready to leave

"Ha, well, doesn't matter" Fletcher rushed after her.

He held the umbrella above her and he kept up as she dashed as quick as she could to the nearest tube station.

"Well, it was nice Fletch"

"Yeah likewise Tasha"

"So you have kids?"

"Not yet, but we're trying" 

"Well nice, I am sure they will come soon" Natasha made an awkward gesture with her hand, as if hurrying imaginary babies along.

Fletcher laughed awkwardly "Yeah, sure. So see you Natasha"

"Yeah, see you around Fletcher, take care in crazy London town".

Natasha briefly hugged him and disappeared as quick as she could into the swarm of Londoners being electrically transported into the depths of the underground.










Comments